Nathan Mates' Christianity Page
I've finally started updating this page semi-regularly thanks to my
writings. See below for them.
All the time, I try and display Christ in my life as a
Christian. Nobody's perfect, especially someone like me, so if you
notice something amiss in my practicing of it, feel free to email me.
First things first-- I am a Christian, subspecies Protestant. A
relevant quotation on that whole topic (imho) is Romans 10:9 - 'That
if you confess with your mouth,
"Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from
the dead, you will be saved.' [NIV]
The church I attend is Crossroads Community
Church in Austin. Before that, I attended UCLA University Presbyterian from
2001-2009, Hope Chapel, Hermosa
Beach, CA. from 1996-2001, and before that, in Pasadena,
California. I used to participate in the Caltech Christian Fellowship
Various Christian writings/work I've done
- Everyone Did As He Saw Fit. That was the lament
centuries ago. How did that happen, what were the results, and how
does it apply today? 3/27/04
- Good Replacements Getting rid of
something is only the first step; we need to consider what we replace
it with. 1/24/04
- What are you arguing? Watch what's going on
around you first. 1/17/04
- Dealing with Scaffolding. We are under
construction in our lives, and scaffolding initially helps, but can
ultimately get in the way. How do we deal with this? 10/25/03
- Failing to Pray. More of a problem than we
may realize. 6/14/03
- A Balanced Approach.
We tend towards the lopsided. But, God calls us to be balanced.
- Undivided Interests.
Does marriage really seem to split one's attention away from
- Why we worship God alone.
Some thoughts on this subject, responding to that question
asked to me. 9/15/02
- Thoughts on Spiritual Community.
Originally published in University
Presbyterian Church's One Purpose journal. 7/13/02
- The Truth is Critical. It doesn't matter
what the packaging is, God's truth remains the same. 4/29/01
- Limited Discipleship. There's more
to this process than one might believe. 4/28/01
- Be an Internet Berean. Think before
you send email! 4/22/01
- A Useful Custom.
Yet another habit of Jesus that we can and should learn from. 4/19/01
- Right Advice, Wrong Time.
Can what is said be truthful, but not helpful? 3/25/01
- Peace to Some. Despite what the popular
culture says, parts of the Christmas season aren't universal. 12/18/00
- Asking for Gifts Text of a talk I gave at Hope
Chapel Singles Alive. Christmas is the season of gifts, but other
humans aren't the only one we could ask for gifts from. 12/9/00
- Follow the arrows In respose to recent
controversy, I try my hand at a cartoon. Enjoy! 11/11/00
- Increase our Faith! A cry by the
disciples 2000 years ago is often echoed to this day. What can we
learn about faith? 11/9/00
- The First Supper Something Jesus did 2000
years ago will be repeated. 10/26/00
- The Sacrifices of Being a Leader The
job isn't always what it's envied to be. 10/16/00
- The Third Soil Prosperity has come the last
few years. Has it affected the American Church? 10/15/00
- God's Style The fingerprints of God are in
how he treats us. 10/15/00
- The Carpenter What exactly did Jesus do,
growing up? 10/10/00
- Wild Animals Examining Jesus's temptation
in light of some verses in Exodus and Deuteronomy. 10/9/00
an Example Like it or not, you're one. Are you being a good one?
- Releasing Hindrances to Joy Expanded text of
a speech I gave at a church event. 9/24/00
- Well After the Fact Centuries go by, and
people want to do something. Is this Biblical? 8/21/00
- The Issue of Condemnation Some
react very negatively to pointing out things. 8/14/00
- Junior Leaders The oldest and firstborn
are always the leaders, right? Nope. 8/13/00
- Religion vs Relationship One works.
One don't. Which one are you following? 5/8/00
- What is Unequally Yoked? That phrase
comes up a lot around believers... 5/4/00
- Worship is a Living Sacrifice. Text
of my talk at the Hope Chapel Singles Alive Night of Dynamite, 4/29/00
- Praying in Public. Can we even do this,
or is it forbidden? [4/9/00]
- Work on Small Things. Not just the big
problems in our lives, the smaller things need work too. [4/9/00]
- Datafile: Samaritans. Who are these people
so disliked by some in the New Testament? [4/2/00]
- Waiting for Years. While God's told you
things to do (see next article below), it may be a while before things
Waiting First. Get going, God's already told you things to do
- Asking For Big Things. Sometimes we set our
sights way too low. [3/13/00]
- Politics & Religion. How do they
mix. How should they mix? [3/2/00]
- Why We Should Worship. It's not just for
the music team and choir to do. [2/27/00]
- As Goes the Leader ... so do the
- Behind Enemy Lines. We're not in friendly
territory, that's for sure. How should we behave? [1/15/00]
- Working through Nonbelievers. Is this
even possible? Does their unbelief stop things? [12/24/99]
- Absence of Accountability. A wise and
prosperous Biblical character messes up. Why? [12/5/99]
- Datafile: Calendars. The current system is
buggy, but still it's used. [10/31/99]
- Datafile: Gifts. God gives so much to those
who believe in him. [10/26/99]
- Very Productive Time. Time that the world
would have you think is pointless is powerful in God's
- Earn Your Keep. God's gifts aren't
exclusively spiritual... [10/7/99]
- Almost Father of the Nation. A few
mistakes pulled this guy out of the running to be a big Biblical
Descendant Always on the Throne. God promised this to David, but
how did it really play out? [8/22/99]
- Datafile: Pharisees. Where these Pharisees
came fram, what they did wrong, what they did right. [8/22/99]
- The Cain Factor. Cain and Abel's story is
longer lasting than just a chapter in Genesis. [8/21/99]
- "Teach us to pray". Jesus's disciples had
to ask for help with prayer. We can learn from them and other examples
of starting a prayer habit and how to pray. [8/2/99]
- Prosperity Not Guaranteed. We may be
blessed materially, but that's not something to count on. [7/29/99]
- Financial Discipline. Quite necessary in
our lives; the whys and hows. [7/25/99]
- A Unified Whole. We're more than just
intellectual and spiritual beings... [7/19/99]
Dangers of Overemphasis. Gifts: can there be too much of a good
Know Thy Enemy. We have one as Christians? [5/31/99]
- No Inheritance in this Land. First seen
applied to some in the Old Testament... is that it? [5/27/99]
- Practical Support. A continuation of ideas
presented in 'One Church, Many Functions' below with suggestions of
how to do things. [5/24/99]
- 31.7665N, 35.2338E. What's the title mean,
and what are all the references to some Bible verses? [5/16/99]
Church, Many Functions. We're not a colony of insects; humans
specialize-- so don't mistreat others. [5/11/99]
- Fully God, Fully Human. That's Jesus's
character; those who believe otherwise are missing the
- Worshiping Idols. Any skeletons in your closet?
- Having Righteousness. Another God-given
quality we should have. [4/29/99]
- Confusing Words.What's said by one is not
necesarily understood by another. [4/28/99]
- Not Medical School. Read the Bible,
pass medical school? Sorry, things don't work that way. [4/26/99]
- Whiners and Complainers. Yep, people in the
Bible have been that way. Are they commended at all for that?
- Dealing with Media. A few thoughts on dealing
with something that's nearly unavoidable, and normally not very
Uncertainty, and Doubt. Analysis of a certain claimed disaster,
and its message from "Christians" [4/18/99]
Wisdom and Discernment. Another thing Christians should be
striving for. [4/18/99]
- Field Guide to Prophets. A bit of a field
guide to this unfortunately rare species. [4/15/99]
- Be Accountable. Are you accountable to
someone? You should be. [4/12/99]
- Not Yet the End of the World. Millennial
madness, with a bit of a damper put on it. [4/6/99]
- The Ultimate Upgrade. Jesus had this
happen first, and it's something other Christians will get to
- Zero Hour. It's approaching. You ready?
- King David's Crucifixion. Centuries
before Jesus, did King David know and speak of Crucifixion? Take a
look at the evidence [4/1/99]
- Grafted In, Grafted Out. Not corruption, but
something more theological [3/29/99]
- The Problem of Leaders. Problem?
Definitely, if they're not according to God's plan. [3/24/99]
- Radiant Glory. One dark night on the
middle of a lake... [3/22/99]
Wait For Elijah. Like Godot, you could be waiting a long time
- Datafile: Temples Info on the various
temples in mentioned in the Bible. [3/20/99]
- The Wages Are The Same -- for different
amounts of work. Is this possible or right? [3/17/99]
- When Big Miracles Don't Convince. Tough
break, but sometimes this happens. [3/15/99]
- You're Not Alone. [3/14/99]
- Don't Shoot the Messenger. It's a tough,
lonely job, but somebody's got to do it... (Title subejct to change)
- Casting Shadows. A short work of
- Praise Report or Prayer Request. Got
one? Or the other? Take a read. [3/8/99]
The Third Gift. Some commentary on the entire Christmas
The Embarassment in Chief commentary on the president of the
United States and how Christians should react to the mess. [9/18/98]
unification of the 4 gospel's writings on Jesus, from the Last Supper
to the burial
Notes for a Bible Study I helped lead on Sin and Repentance
"Magic, Miracles, and Christianity"
"What you don't see may still happen"
Just an hour a day...
"If you believe this, don't buy Swampland (err, Real Estate) in Florida!"
Not condemned, but not condoned either
Favorite Bible Verses
(Short list of many)
- Proverbs 4:7
- Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you
gave, get understanding.
- 2nd Corinthians 3:4-5
- 4 Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God.
5 Not that we are completed in ourselves to claim anything
for ourselves, but our competence comes from God.
- 1 John 2:5-6
- 5 But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made
complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: 6 Whoever
claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.
- Psalm 46:10a
- "Be still, and know that I am God"
- Jeremiah 7:22-23
- 22 For when I brought your forefathers out of Egypt and
spoke to them, I did not just give them commands about burnt offerings
and sacrifices, 23 but I gave them this command: Obey me,
and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in all the ways
I command you, that it may go well with you.
Others to be announced later.
Links to various places:
The Bible, many versions, with nice search and lookup functions.
- 10 Reasons to
- Christian Computing
Magazine, with tips, news, and the like on how to use your
computers in the service of God's Kingdom.
- Harvest Crusade. Get thee to
a free concert, or at least watch/listen for free online.
- Echo Central. One of my
favorite electronic Christian group's webpage.
See more Christian writings by Nathan Mates at